When you need a divorce lawyer we will assist you with mediation, marital asset division, child custody and support, alimony and other divorce related issues.
Divorce Laws in Tennessee
To file for divorce you must be a resident of this state, or if the grounds for divorce occurred outside of the state, one of the parties must have resided in Tennessee six months preceding the filing for divorce.
Military personnel have to be a resident of the state for a minimum of one year prior to filing.
The divorce complaint is filed in Chancery court in the county where the parties reside at the time of their separation, or in the county where the defendant resides, or where the plaintiff resides. Your divorce lawyer will know the deadlines and laws concerning where and when to file.
Legal Grounds for Divorce
- Irreconcilable differences
- Willful desertion for one entire year
- Attempting to take the life of the other spouse
- Habitual drunkenness or drug abuse after the marriage
- Cruel or inhuman treatment that makes cohabitation dangerous
- Conviction of an infamous crime, or sentenced to prison for a felony
- Abandonment and refusal to provide for your spouse when you are able to do so
- A two-year period of separation, without cohabitation, if there are no minor children involved
- Indignities that render the spouse's position intolerable, and force the spouse to leave the marriage
- The wife was pregnant at the time of the marriage, by another person, without the knowledge of the husband
- One spouse refuses to move to this state, and is willfully absent from the spouse residing in Tennessee for two years
The grounds to file for legal separation are the same as for divorce and the court will respond to other issues such as child custody, visitation, support and property issues during legal separation upon motion by either party or by agreement of both parties.
The court can grant an absolute divorce to either party if;
- there has been an order of legal separation for more than two years
- the parties have not reconciled
- petition filed by either party for an absolute divorce
We understand that this is a stressful time for everyone involved and will handle a divorce with the skill and sensitivity you need regarding marital and family matters, when you need a divorce lawyer